Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Joy

This year Christmas started out very dreary and there was a kind of sadness in my heart at the start of the Christmas season. It didn't seem to matter what I did, I just couldn't feel the joy and excitement that should be present at this glorious time of year! One sunday as I looked around at the people at church a realization came to me. I realized that there were so many people that have struggles and also need a little Christmas cheering up! It was then that I decided to do the 12 days of Christmas to several members of our ward that I felt could use a little extra joy in their lives this year. So my kids and I found a fun version of the 12 Days of Christmas and mixed it up a little just for the sake of cuteness! We spent hours preparing the little gifts that we would drop every night on these 3 doorsteps and then we would run like the wind, hoping we didn't get spotted. This went on for 12 nights...each night the same thing...drop and run....and each night a little more laughter and joy entered our home and hearts as we knew these 3 families had began to look forward to our little gifts! What a great experience this was for our family as we focused on the joy we were bringing to others. In the process of serving in this small way, we found the joy in Christmas.....joy, love and laughter entered our home and Christmas found its way to our hearts! I will always be greatful for this experience and lessons it taught me. Even though I was not in an ideal situation myself this year, I could still give and feel the joy that comes from service. Now I sit here almost midnight writing my thoughts about this Christmas, which comes in minutes, and am grateful the Lord inspired my thoughts that Sunday. That is what got me through this year and gave me and my children memories we will always cherish and hopefully new traditions we will carry on for years to come! Merry Christmas everyone....my hope for you is that you too will feel the joy in your hearts this Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment